Wednesday, January 25, 2012

Tiny Tutorial ~ Valentine Cards

card

Make a Valentine  and matching envelope using a page from your sketchbook. Above is a  cropped photo of my layered valentine page. You'll see how I produced and printed cards and envelopes using a photo of this page.
IMG_1484 IMG_1485
hearts doodle 
As you'll see in this post, the layered journal page is made from a doodle on  one page in my sketchbook and then covered with a sheet of vellum, with more ink drawings, filled with color pencil.
Envelopes: I photographed the ink doodle page, then, using Photoshop (filter: stamp)  to simplify  the drawings. Then I printed it out in black and white on regular printer paper, and then cut envelopes using the envelope template I found online.
Cards: To make the cards, I printed out the image in color on card stock. I made both postcards and folded cards, both to fit the envelopes.
IMG_1486

hearts velum
the vellum overlay. ink and color pencil
hearts layered

tiles tile velum
Here' are the other pages of mine from my Strathmore Visual Journal (9x12). The doodles, painted with watercolor on one page, and the overlay of vellum, with more ink drawings (and colored with color pencil)
tiles layered

flowers  flower velum
flowers layered

doodle page step  1 velum

IMG_0852

doodle page step  1 velum and brads
I used Strathmore Translucent Vellum and it took ink beautifully. ( I see they have inkjet and laser vellum too , but I haven't used it.) To fasten the vellum to the sketchbook page, I used a tiny hole punch and tiny brads. You could just staple it too.

IMG_1480
Happy Valentines Day!

19 comments:

  1. This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

    ReplyDelete
  2. That's a really cool idea, and the work is so beautiful too :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. This was just what I needed this morning! Thank you:)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Oh, boy, oh boy! This is wonderful and gives me great ideas. Thanks for starting the day with a creative jump start.

    ReplyDelete
  5. This is an awesome idea! I am sick at home and might see if I have some vellum that will take ink pens. If not I cannot wait till I can get some.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Beautiful and original artwork makes the most wonderful valentines. Thanks for this tutorial.

    ReplyDelete
  7. This is a great tutorial. Beautiful artwork. Thank you for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
  8. I really love these cards what beautiful layers. I will have to try something like this.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Great fun idea. Your work is beautiful! Thanks for sharing.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Thanks for sharing... this is a great idea, love the way it looks.

    ReplyDelete
  11. I LOVE this idea! So simple and so stylish. Thank you so much for this tutorial Jane! Your card and envelope are gorgeous.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Can't wait to play with Valentines this weekend with my daughters - we're meeting in Costa Mesa for Annie's 21st birthday, so we'll be sipping mimosas and making hearts and wedding plans! Thanks for the doodles and ideas! ~Hobby <3 <3 <3

    ReplyDelete
  13. these are so awesome! Do you need any special kind of ink to draw on vellum or will anything do? thanks!

    ReplyDelete
  14. Siren, I use my pitt faber castell pen and it works perf!

    ReplyDelete
  15. Love your card Jane. AND I happen to have a matching napkin from our class in Utah. How funny is that?!

    ReplyDelete
  16. Hi Jane,
    Those doodles look like Zentangles to me. Have you started to like them? Shall we get together sometime and do some? I'm still completely addicted. The card is just wonderful.
    Barbara

    ReplyDelete
  17. You are a wonder, Jane - thanks SO much for this inspiration!

    ReplyDelete
  18. Jane, you always inspire me ever since meeting you in SBS online. Keep up the good work!

    ReplyDelete

Thanks so much for visiting JaneLaFazio.com!

Related Posts with Thumbnails